Saturday, December 17, 2016

Osaka Kaiyukan Aquarium

Yesterday (Fri Dec 16) was a travel day with no concert, so since we were free in Osaka after 2pm, we all headed out for the world-class Osaka Kaiyukan Aquarium.

Aquariums are one of the things I like to visit whenever I have free time in a city - I've been to the National Aquarium in Baltimore twice, Shedd in Chicago, Newport (KY), Monterey Bay several times, Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, Vancouver (Canada), and probably a few others I'm forgetting right now. This was my third visit to the Osaka Aquarium, and it's one of my favorites!

Osaka was the first aquarium to feature whale sharks in captivity (beginning in 2005). Since then, other aquariums have added this magnificent creature to their exhibits, but I think Osaka has done a fabulous job with them. The sharks (and other big fish such as rays, tuna, groupers, and a large school of sardines) are housed in the "Pacific Ocean" tank, which is 9 metres (30 ft) deep and holds 5,400 cubic metres (190,699 cu ft) of water. The tank is viewable from a descending walkway that spirals around the tank beginning on the 8th floor and the other exhibits are arranged around the outside of the walkway.  The whale sharks are so majestic as they swim around the tank!

Of course, they're not the only thing I like there; I also love the Japanese spider crabs and the jellyfish! I took videos of several exhibits and have combined them all into one single vid for your viewing pleasure:



I took lots of pics, too!

The stairs were decorated for Xmas. 

Giant salamander

River otters! SO CUTE!

California sea lions, a bit far from home.

Capybara, a Rodent Of Unusual Size

"ROUS? I don't think they exist."

Japanese spider crabs - MY FAVORITE!!

It's bigger than my head, but still a juvenile. They can grow to 18 feet across their legs at full size!

jellies!

I love jellyfish!

I think this one looks like a swimming maiden.

These always seem to have tangled tentacles.

After the Aquarium, udon for dinner with Patti & Warren TenBrook and David & Lois Kail.


No comments:

Post a Comment